How can you complain to the ombudsman?


Method of submitting a complaint:

The petition and the Commissioner's proceeding are free of stamp duty. The complaint can be submitted both orally and in writing (also via email or through the dedicated platform on our website). It is advisable to enclose the copies of the existing documents which can be relevant to the inquiry. If you want to submit a complaint via email, please use

which is exclusively reserved for this purpose.

Your attention is drawn to that complaints submitted via emailed shall be handled in compliance with the general rules of administration. Please indicate your permanent address and your postal address in your petition in order to help us handle your petition on the merit. In the absence of this, your complaint via email shall not be handled on the merit. If the person filing the petition requests it, the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights may not reveal his or her identity.


postal address: 

Alapvető Jogok Biztosának Hivatala

1387 Budapest PO Box 40


Should you make a complaint personally, please make an appointment in advance.

In order to make an appointment, call the phone number 06-1-475-71-00 or make an appointment electronically. 

Opening hours of the Commissioner's Client Service Office:

Monday:   8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.  (in case of prior arrangement: 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Tuesday – Thursday:   8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday:   8:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.
Address of the Client Service Office: 1055 Budapest, Falk Miksa utca 9-11. >> map<<
Telephone of the Client Service Office: (+36) (1) 475-7129, (+36) (1) 475-7100
Important to know:                                  

•    The 30 day administrative time limit does not apply to the proceedings of the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights.

 •    In conducting his or her proceedings, the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights shall be independent, subordinated only to Acts. If, on the basis of an inquiry conducted, the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights comes to the conclusion that the impropriety in relation to a fundamental right does exist, in order to redress it he or she may address a recommendation to the authority to the supervisory organ of the authority subject to inquiry.

•    No one shall suffer a disadvantage for turning to the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights.