Dr. László Székely - CURRICULUM VITAE
László SZÉKELY was born in Budapest on 15 March 1958.
He graduated from the Faculty of Law and Political Sciences (ÁJK) of Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE) in 1982.
He has been teaching at the Department of Civil Law of the ÁJK since 1982, and he has been member of the Faculty Council since 1990. In 1995 he was awarded the Trefort Ágoston Commemorative Medal by the University.
In 1992 he was elected member of the Council of Copyright Experts.
In 1992 he became member of the Environmental Cabinet of FIDESZ, in 1996 he was elected member of the Complaints Committee of the National Radio and Television Council (ORTT).
He has been teaching at the Deák Ferenc Faculty of Law and Political Sciences of Széchenyi István University of Győr.
Between 1988 and 2002, in the capacity of Government Commissioner, he was in charge of coordinating governmental activities aimed at the implementation of the decision handed down by the International Court of Justice in the Hague on the matter of the Gabčíkovo–Nagymaros Dams.
Since 2008 he has been Director of the Institute of Post-graduate Legal Studies of ELTE.
On 15 June 2010 he was appointed Ministerial Commissioner in charge of the preparation of the new Civil Code of Hungary – his assignment was completed on 19 January 2013.
Since December 2012 he has been the head of the Hungarian delegation at the Hungarian–Slovakian talks on the Gabčíkovo–Nagymaros Dams.
On 20 January he was appointed Ministerial Commissioner of the Ministry of Justice and Public Administration in charge of the sustainable utilization of natural resources divided by state borders.
On 16 September 2013 he was elected Commissioner for Fundamental Rights by the Hungarian Parliament. He started his 6‑year term on 25 September 2013.
- On the necessity and current status of inclusive, tailor-made kindergarten education of children with special educational needs
- The 2016 Report of the National Preventive Mechanism on the Ombudsman's website
- The Commissioner for Fundamental Rights on the lack of technical accessibility of online cash registers, as well as on the importance of the equal access of the blind and the partially sighted
- Unlawful Conditions in the Topház Special Home in Göd - Conclusions of the Investigation Conducted by the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights
- Statement by the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights on the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia
- Report by the Ombudsman on some serious violations of the law, committed in the course of a disciplinary proceeding conducted in a school
- Derogatory institutional sanctions, bad automatisms, probable abuse - report by the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights on the operation of the Children’s Home of Zalaegerszeg
- Experiences in environmental law enforcement - exchange of ideas at the Ombudsman’s Office
- An international convention is required for enforcing the human rights responsibilities of large conglomerates - conference in the Ombudsman’s Office
- Message by the Deputy Commissioner for the Rights of National Minorities on the Greek National Holiday
- Message by the Deputy Commissioner for the Rights of National Minorities on the Day of Hungarian-Polish Friendship
- JOINT STATEMENT by László Székely, Commissioner for Fundamental Rights, and Elisabeth Sándor-Szalay, Deputy-Commissioner responsible for the protection of the rights of nationalities living in Hungary on the occasion of the International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- The Ombudsman on registered partners’ tax and duty allowances, on interpretative disputes
- Let us all help and pay attention - in this cold, windy, freezing weather we should take better care of each other and our fellow men who are vulnerable and in need
- Message by the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights on the occasion of the second European Day on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse
- Statement by the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights and the Deputy-Commissioner responsible for the Rights of National Minorities on the Equinet seminar on fighting discrimination on grounds of race and ethnic origin, organised in the Office of the Commissioner for Fundamental Rights
- Class action lawsuits in connection with infringements caused by environmental pollution - A proposal by the Ombudsman for Future Generations to amend the statutory rules of the new code of Civil Procedure
- Call by the Ombudsman for Future Generations in the matter of smog alerts
- Concerns of the Ombudsman for Future Generations about the planned free trade agreement with Canada
- Contradictory regulations, missing programs - the Ombudsman on the right of children of foreign nationality to education